NYMPP: Section 1 - Mechanical Activities
What's New? How to use this site Acronyms Acknowledgements Contact Us
Disclaimer View a slide show Related links Site Map Feedback








Waste gasoline
or diesel fuel sent for recycling (fuel blending) rather than for disposal or incineration are exempt from regulation as hazardous waste.

New York Sea Grant's
Marina Pollution Prevention Web Site

Section 1:
Mechanical Activities
- Commissioning Engines

Potential Environmental Impacts

The waste fluids generated when commissioning engines on the upland, if not properly managed, can potentially enter the water in storm water runoff. Contact with the fluids can harm fish and other marine and aquatic life. If certain fluids are mixed, they may become subject to hazardous waste requirements and be more expensive to dispose. Waste fluids from commissioning engines may include engine oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, transmission fluid and antifreeze.

Best Management Practices

  • Inspect fuel lines for leaks or potential leaks such as cracks and loose connections. These can be persistent problems that last throughout the season, leaking engine fluids into the bilge and should be corrected before launching.

  • Household hazardous waste programs may accept unwanted gasoline and gas/oil blends generated by individual boat owners. Encourage marina patrons to dispose of their waste gasoline through their own municipal household hazardous waste collection programs, if appropriate.

Regulatory Issues

  • Waste gasoline is not considered a hazardous waste if it is recycled or burned as a fuel. Waste gasoline should be stored in properly grounded, labeled and closed containers on an impermeable surface with spill controls.

  • If stale gasoline cannot be reconditioned, dispose of it as hazardous waste [40 CFR 262.11] click here. For more information on New York's Hazardous Waste Regulations and storage requirements, click here, pdf.

  • If there is a stormwater discharge from your facility and you perform any outdoor vessel maintenance or repair, including commissioning or decommissioning engines, you may have to register for a General Permit for the Discharge of Storm Water Associated with Industrial Activity ("Storm Water General Permit"). For more information on stormwater permitting in New York, click here.

  • If doing an oil change, see "Oil Changes," (click here).

  • See "Antifreeze" (click here) to determine how to handle, store and dispose of antifreeze used to winterize engines.

  • Manage soiled rags as described in "Rags" (click here)