Young Boater Safety Training Set for CNY Boat Show Feb. 10-14, 2010
- Dave White, New York Sea Grant, 315-312-3042
- Drew Wickham, Boating Industry Association of Upstate NY, 585-526-5460
Note: Our press release from earlier in January 2010 noted that ASL-facilitated young deaf boater training will be offered for the first time in NY at the CNY Boat Show (click here). This press release announces the training for young hearing boaters.
Syracuse, NY, January 20, 2010 – New York Sea Grant and the Boating Industry Association of Upstate New York are partnering with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary to offer youth boater safety training at the February 10-14, 2010 Central New York Boat Show in Syracuse, NY.
Youth ages 10-17 may register for the free training required for youth to legally operate a boat alone on New York State waters. The training will begin on Thursday, February 11, 6-8:30pm, and end on Saturday, February 13, 10am-3:30pm. Youth must complete all 8 hours of the safety training that includes a proctored exam.
NYS OPRHP Director of Marine Services Brian Kempf says, “The Central New York Boat Show is a great venue for youth to learn about safety as well as the types of boats and equipment available for enjoying New York State waters.”
New York Sea Grant Recreation & Tourism Specialist Dave White says, “In addition to the Young Boater Safety Training traditionally offered at the Central New York Boat Show, in 2010, we are excited to also begin a safety class for young deaf boaters with the assistance of American Sign Language interpreters from AURORA of CNY.”
Each youth registered for either section of the safety training receives three admission passes into the Central New York Boat Show that is New York State’s largest & oldest boat show with more than 500 power and sail boats, yachts, water recreation equipment and marine accessories on display.
Pre-registration for the free limited seating safety courses is required. Contact New York Sea Grant at 315-312-3042, www.nysgextension.org, for more details.
# # #
New York Sea Grant (NYSG)
Contact: Dave White, 315-312-3042; web: www.nysgextension.org
- One of the largest extension programs in the National Sea Grant network
- NYSG educators and specialists work with shoreline stakeholders to conduct research and outreach to facilitate understanding, appreciation and use of NY’s Great Lakes shoreline’s natural and recreational resources.
- NYSG’s Great Lakes Program has offices on Oswego, Brockport & Buffalo SUNY campuses.
Boating Industry Association of Upstate New York
Contact: CNY Boat Show & Sales Manager Drew Wickham, 315-447-9286; web: www.cnybia.org
- Informs the public of federal and state boating rules and regulations for using NY’s freshwaters, including Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, Finger Lakes, and historic Erie Canal
- Association members represent boat-related businesses from boat sales to boat restoration and canvas makers.
- Annual February CNY Boat Show is one of many different Association outreach efforts
Central New York Boat Show
- The Central New York Boat Show and Sale is New York State’s largest & oldest boat show.
- You will see more than 500 power and sail boats, yachts, water recreation equipment and marine accessories on display at the Central New York Boat Show and Sale.
- Show Hours: 1-9 pm Wednesday, February 10; Thursday, February 11; and Friday, February 12; 10 am-8 pm Saturday, February 13; and 10 am-5 pm Sunday, February 14.
- Show Admission: $9 per person; children under 12 free. Parking and parking lot shuttles are free.
- More info: www.cnyboatshow.com