2011 Discover Clean & Safe Boat to Visit February 16-20 Central NY Boat Show
Dave White, NY Sea Grant, 315-312-3042
Drew Wickham, CNY Boat Show Manager, 585-526-5460
Oswego, NY, February 9, 2011 - Need to know the gear you must have to legally boat on New York waters? Want to know how you can prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species that can damage boats and motors?
Then look for the 2011 Discover Clean & Safe Boating exhibit at the Central NY Boat Show at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY, February 16-20. Information from the national Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers project will be featured at the exhibit.
The 2011 Discover Clean & Safe Boating campaign is a collaboration of New York Sea Grant, the Boating Industries Association of Upstate NY, Yamaha/Clayton Marina, and Marathon Boat Group which has donated the use of a 16-foot “made in New York” Grumman Oneida fishing boat for the 2011 campaign.
Morgan Recreational Supply and Clayton Marina helped equip the boat with the gear required and recommended for clean & safe boating on NY waters.
“We are excited to travel through the Great Lakes region to encourage diverse types of groups and individuals to use easy-to-implement clean boating practices to help slow the spread of aquatic invasive species,” says campaign coordinator and New York Sea Grant Coastal Recreation and Tourism Specialist Dave White.
New York Sea Grant is also offering Invasive Species seminars at the Central NY Boat Show Friday evening at 6:30pm, Saturday at 3pm, and Sunday at 2pm.
An invasive species is one not native to the ecosystem of interest and likely to cause harm to the economy, environment or human health in that area.
Aquatic invasive species can damage boat engines and steering equipment, reduce native game fish populations, degrade ecosystems, make lakes and rivers unusable by boaters and swimmers, and impact the economies of waterfront communities.
Boating Industries Association of Upstate NY President John Jablonski, owner of The Sailboat Shop in Skaneateles, NY, said, “The Boating Industries Association is pleased to partner with the Discover Clean and Safe Boating program because our member businesses are all about making boating safer and more enjoyable in ways that also protect the quality of our boating waters.”
CEO John Jackson says, “Marathon Boat Group is pleased to help people learn how to enjoy New York’s fabulous boating waters by following good practices to protect themselves and the marine environment.”
Marine gear made in New York by Taylor Made Products of Gloversville will be among spin-the-wheel prizes as part of the Discover Clean & Safe Boating exhibit experience at waterfront events this summer. For more info, contact Dave White, New York Sea Grant, Oswego, NY, 315-312-3042, www.nysgextension.org. #
CNY Boat Show Facts:
- The Central New York Boat Show and Sale is New York’s largest and oldest (first show as held in 1957) boat show.
- The show is held in three buildings: Center of Progress, Toyota Building and Horticulture Building at the New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY.
- The show features more than 250,000 sq. ft. of booths with more than 500 new power and sail boats, yachts, water recreation equipment & marine accessories on exhibit.
- 2011 Show Hours: Wednesday, February 16; Thursday, February 17; Friday, February 18 – 1-9 pm; Saturday, February 19, 2011 – 10am to 9pm; Sunday, February 20, 2011 – 10am to 5pm
- 2011 Show Admission: Adults: $10; Children 13 & younger: free. Free parking/shuttle.
- More Info: www.cnyboatshow.com; Show Manager: Drew Wickham, email@example.com, 585-526-5460.